This course provides an overall introduction to social auditing and specifically auditing in accordance with the SA8000:2014 Standard. The five-day course is a requirement for all SA8000 Team Auditors and has been attended by thousands of professionals around the world.
This course is designed for participants hoping to become SA8000 Team Auditors as well as other stakeholders, who wish to conduct social compliance audits, advance labor rights, or apply a management system approach in their supply chain.
- SA8000 Standard and its nine elements
- Effective auditing techniques related to each social compliance element under SA8000
- A review of SA8000 documents and tools, including an introduction to Social Fingerprint®
- Introduction to management systems
- Methods and techniques for conducting and generating findings from an SA8000 audit
Social auditing and compliance
- Introduction to core concepts of social compliance in the supply chain
- Practical knowledge of social auditing and social performance
- Common challenges and solutions in social compliance
- Methods and techniques for gathering, evaluating and triangulating satisfactory objective evidence to determine the conformance of a system
- Generating accurate, appropriate, and comprehensive audit findings and conclusions
The training course involves in-depth case studies, virtual factory tours and highly interactive group exercises that allow for hands-on learning and practical application of methods and tools. The course concludes with a comprehensive exam, and students who successfully pass are awarded the SA8000 Basic Auditor Training Course Completion Certificate.
There is no formal prerequisite for this course at this time. However, SAI recommends that students attending the course should understand the fundamental auditing principles and protocols at a basic level. It is recommended that all participants familiarize themselves with ISO/IEC 19011 prior to attending the course.
SAI offers one complimentary seat for a full-time representative of a verified NGO or trade union for each SA8000 Introduction and Basic Auditor Training Course. Please contact SAI at [email protected] (subject field: NGO/Union Seat) to receive an application form.
External Course Providers
In addition to SAI, several approved external course providers also offer this training.
Important Information Regarding COVID-19
We are offering limited sessions of this course online as we seek to continue providing professional development opportunities safely during this time.
Please contact [email protected] for details on upcoming remote training courses.
July 27–31 | English | $2100 (USD)
September 7–11 | Chinese | $1600 (USD)
Sign Up for Training Announcements
Register for our email list to receive announcements about new training opportunities in your region
Feedback for SA8000 Basic
Professionals across industries, roles, and around the world have benefited from this training.
Gustavo Meyer SuarezIIC-Intersport International
Manager, Sustainability and Compliance
Cesar PachecoBureau Veritas
Trini GardnerFair Trade USA
Ejaz UddinSynergies Sourcing Pakistan (Pvt.) Ltd.
CSR & Compliance Officer
Sebastian GeorgeAsia Excel Trading Ltd.
HR & Social Compliance Manager
José Manuel López Carretero–